Sous Chef Job Description
This Sous Chef sample job description can assist in your creating a job application that will attract job candidates who are qualified for the job. Feel free to revise this job description to meet your specific job duties and job requirements.
Introduction / Job Description
A Sous Chef is the culinary chef located just below the executive or head chef in a kitchen’s chain of command. Therefore, the Sous Chef has a vital role in any commercial kitchen. As second-in-command, he/she has a large amount of responsibility in the kitchen.
Essentially, the Sous Chef is responsible for planning and directing food preparation in kitchens. This involves a large degree of supervising other kitchen staff, as well as keeping an eye out for problems that arise in the kitchen and seizing control of a situation at a moment’s notice.
The Sous Chef may also need to effectively discipline underperforming staff members, as well as provide incentives for staff members to go above and beyond the expectations of their particular chef roles.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Work with the executive chef to produce diversified menus in accordance with the restaurant’s policy and vision
- Come up with new dishes which appeal to the clients, whenever required
- Establish the working schedule and organize the work in the kitchen so that everything works like a “well-oiled machinery”
- Produce high quality dishes that follow up the established menu and level up to location’s standards, as well as to clients’ requirements
- Plan the food design in order to create a perfect match between the dish’s aspect and its taste
- Discover talented chefs and train them in order to reach the high standards of the location
- Train the auxiliary kitchen staff in order to provide best results in minimum time and using at the maximum the available resources
- Maintain order and discipline in the kitchen during working hours
- Create tasting menus for clients interested in contracting the food for different events (wedding, banquets, corporate dinners, birthday parties, etc.) from their kitchen
- Developing a cross-marketing strategy in order to increase profit, such as pairing drinks with the food served
- Proficient in English or Spanish
- X+ years of experience as a Sous Chef
- Understanding of various cooking methods, ingredients, equipment and procedures
- Excellent record of kitchen and staff management
- Accuracy and speed in handling emergency situations and providing solutions
- Familiar with industry’s best practices
- Working knowledge of various computer software programs (MS Office, restaurant management software, POS)
- BS degree in Culinary science or related certificate would be a plus
- Teamwork Oriented
- Maintains a Good Energy Level
- Thorough and Organized
Provide an example of you as a team-work oriented person.
Get started for free.
Easy to set up. No credit card required.